Wednesday, May 6, 2009

One Tip Wednesday

Going Shopping? Don't forget your list! I have used many different types of grocery shopping list in the past: online, hand written, space in my daily planner and numerous pre-made list. I liked certain things about each one, but in other ways they were not convenient at all. I loved that with the online list, it only printed what you selected, but I am not always right by the computer and I had to use the categories they had prepared. So after much fine tuning, I have come up with a list that works for me.

It started with a list I found online that you could download. Then I changed and added the things that I wanted on the list. I also marked things in categories making it easier to find it in my stores. So something like "chicken" may be on the list twice, once under meat and again under frozen foods since I buy it both ways.

To add things to my list, I can do one of two things: Keep a running list on my computer where I can mark what I need or print them out as is and mark what I need. I almost always do that later. I keep all of my list on my cutie clipboard (Clipboards by Haley!) and just mark as needed. I can mark items with a W that I want to purchase at Wal-Mart, a K for things at Kroger or KK for Kountry Kupboard (local bulk food store).

The benefit of a shopping list is that it helps you move through the store faster, make fewer impulse buys and from forgetting things you need.


I have to share my dream shopping list however. I joked with Kevin about all of this when I was trying to come up with a working grocery list and told him that what I really needed was a way to have things automatically appear on my list when I use them out of my pantry. He laughed at me and said, "Do you want a bar code scanner on the computer?" I excitedly asked, "Can you do that????" He admitted that he could but thought maybe I was a little overboard. I don't see how that's overboard at all! Wouldn't that be great. When you use a jar of spaghetti sauce, you just scan it and it automatically marks it on your list. I think it would be awesome!

If you would like a copy of my list, leave a comment on this post with your e-mail address and I'll e-mail you a copy. It's is Word format and very easy to change to meet your list.

If you have ideas for keeping your life organized - grab the button and start giving your "One Tip Wednesday." Be sure to leave me a comment so I can check out your great ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin