Monday, February 15, 2010

Olympics Dinner Party

We'll pretty much use any excuse to get together and have a party! Friday night we invited a group of friends to come over for an Olympics Watch Party. One of our friends, Meghan, is from Canada and we wanted to celebrate the Olympics with her. This is her in her official Canada Olympics mittens and scarf you saw them wearing throughout the opening ceremonies and on the sidelines during the competitions.
When I thought about what we should do for food, I kept thinking "What is 'Olympic' food?" Wednesday morning it hit me - Food from around the world. So that's what we did. Each couple/person brought something from a different country.
For an appetizer, we had Mexican chips and salsa and cheese dip. We also had Fried Plantains from Cote d' Ivoire, Africa and a great crab dip made by Meghan (she grew up in Nova Scotia which is on the Canadian East Coast).
Our main dishes were Italian Lasagna (trust me, it tasted better than it looks here, the guys were hungry and wouldn't let me get a good picture! Ha!)...
and Sauce d' Arashide from Cote d' Ivoire, Africa.
Four of our friends (all present that night) recently returned from Cote d' Ivoire and Karen made this dish. I really have no idea what all is in it except that it has chicken and a peanut butter sauce. She served it over couscous.
For our bread, we had what else but French Bread!
For dessert, we had Canadian Crepes. They were sooo good!
It's great to get together with friends and it's also fun when you can try some new foods in the process.
We are loving us some Winter Olympics this year!
Sorry no recipes this post, but it was a great food night at my house!

For more great recipes, visit Foodie Friday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays!

3 comments:

  1. What fun! We are loving the Olympics too! Thanks so much for joining in the Olympic fun!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!!! Everything looks wonderful! We have a houseful of sick people this week, but I would have loved a party like this
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Foods of the world, how fun would that be? I don't watch the Olympics, but I'd be too busy eating to care anyway, lol. I have a friend who went to the Ivory Coast with the Peace Corps and she sent me some wonderful recipes. Great to have friends in the blogging world to share their country's recipes, even better to have friends right there to cook for you!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin